R44 and R46 cab

Nature

I was wondering like i feel bad for the super skinny T/O's that have to deal with thoes throttle handles i sometimes see them struggle with 2 hands to turn the thing fully around to brake i wonder why they brake so early and hard i wonder how the P handle felt.

The R46 controller is ugly.The throttle sits on a big box,while the R44 sits on a turntable like plattform.I liked the old R46 console before GOH with the sliding p-wire throttle.

I actually like the controller on the R46, it's professional looking and it's similar to the single master controller on the MBTA Red Line 015/01600s and 01700s, althought their controller's logo is the big "W" for WABCO while the R46's Master Controller has my favorite logo of it's maker, Newtran, and it looks cute on the base of the R46 cab's MC

I wish 44's and 46's had this:

1_M3Cab.JPG

The Westcode is close, but this one is more like the GE's in the SMEE's, and doesn't pop up like th eWestcode. Looks much more comfortable to hold down and rotate than either the Westcode or NYAB's in the 46's.

(Nobody on the LIRR forum knew what model this was. Does anyone know here?)

Really, the 44's and 46's should have slide controllers as that's wht they started with, and the M1 style controller should go to the 62's and 68's and replace the brake handles.

Yup they did use that type controller, and it was that small. Worked *similar* to an NTT controller except for the way you held it.

The M1/M2/M3 controllers are nice. I think they'd have been good as well, so agreed with Eric B. Seem to have a smaller swing radius and stayed down unlike the popping Westcodes.

Going forward I'd think it'd be interesting if they ever considered a standard "SMEE Type" brake stand in each cab, with a brake handle (though it would be electric brakes like any other NTT), with a separate "NTT style" master controller for power/coast so it'd be two hand operation, but that's just me.

(Nobody on the LIRR forum knew what model this was. Does anyone know here?)

M3 cab I believe.

1000362u.jpg

Going forward I'd think it'd be interesting if they ever considered a standard "SMEE Type" brake stand in each cab, with a brake handle (though it would be electric brakes like any other NTT), with a separate "NTT style" master controller for power/coast so it'd be two hand operation, but that's just me.

Isn't that how the Track Geometry controls is set up as?

DSC01142.jpg

I could only find a SIRT R44 Cab.

Wow this pic is even better,because I personally never seen this cineston version on the R44 I only heard of it.It look sooo primitive and its structured similar to a commuter car`s control.I know the (NYCT) Version on the (A) uses the westcode version which sits on that turntable looking console.Thanks for the upload:tup:

Yes the toggle dial on the bottom right of the R46 console was the reverser.

Now the reverser is on the stand the master controller handle is mounted on.

As for the R44 cab post GOH with the Westcode master controller, here is is (reverser is underneath the console, in the front):

img_94619.jpg

If anyone is familiar with the air brake system in a large truck, a diamond-shaped valve handle is used to set the parking brake, as shown in the linked picture:

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/v/vr/vroombroom/435903_parking_brake.jpg

I've never seen such a knob on operator's console. How do operators and engineers lock a train's brakes? Do they move the controller to the emergency position and then set hand brakes, or is there a similar valve handle?

If anyone is familiar with the air brake system in a large truck, a diamond-shaped valve handle is used to set the parking brake, as shown in the linked picture:

I've never seen such a knob on operator's console. How do operators and engineers lock a train's brakes? Do they move the controller to the emergency position and then set hand brakes, or is there a similar valve handle?

yep, move controller into emergency, let go so it goes into the deadmans, and deactivate the reverser switch.

I've seen those on old AmTran school buses as well from the 90s. All I know is that when the driver puts on the parking brake, it releases a lot of air much in the manner of subway trains after they were parked at their termius. Are you saying that the T/Os put on the emergency brakes as parking brakes after the train is stopped at the termius?

Archived