Bi-Articulated Bus?

WannaBeMTA12

LA's longest bus is 65ft, they don't have these.

LACMTA bus 9495---and it's a one-of-a-kind bus. The problem is getting the bus here and then a DMV waiver---as a non-divisible unit is limited by state law (and that in most states) to 65 feet.

A great idea would be if there were articulated coach buses for the express buses in S.I. with back doors. Too bad no manufacturer are making them, you have to convert them for lots of money. In 1980's-1990's prevost made an articulated coach, looked pretty nice Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

This actually might not be a bad idea for the X1. I do agree that someone would need to build a back door in the bus. The real problem though might be cost---such a bus might run close to a million dollars.

If bus are allow up to 65 feet then why there tram cars out there? a lot of tram cars are more the 65 feet. Look at disney world. At least 4 to 5 cars per tram, so what wrong with bus having 3 articulated section. I find nothing wrong, but bringing in the new century to handle load like on SBS. 

If bus are allow up to 65 feet then why there tram cars out there? a lot of tram cars are more the 65 feet. Look at disney world. At least 4 to 5 cars per tram, so what wrong with bus having 3 articulated section. I find nothing wrong, but bringing in the new century to handle load like on SBS. 

There's a huge difference between a bus and a tram...

Because one's range of movement is limited to rails, so turning and merging in/out is not a big issue.

I've saw doubles trucks with 2-53ft trailers. Only allowed on interstate 87 and 90. Trucks are under different restrictions. Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

They are called Longer Combination Vehicles. Also more know as Turnpike Doubles 

http://www.epa.gov/smartway/forpartners/documents/trucks/techsheets-truck/EPA420F10-053.pdf

mta needs a bus made of all articulation so the dot (department of transportation) can lift the 65 foot rule. they would be easier to drive and hold more passengers. its a no brainer

It's a federal rule, and it's there so, among other things, people waiting at crosswalks don't somehow get struck by a wide turning bus. For the same reason, trucks over 55 feet long need permits for every leg of a trip they will do within New York City, and are restricted to certain roads.

The issue I see with a bi-articulated bus is trying to turn it safely; a bus comprised of 3 30' sections (or 2 30' sections and a 25' section in the center) would have the same theoretical turning radius as a 30' bus, in much the same way that the D60HFs have a turning radius somewhere in the neighborhood of 35'-37'. That said, the more segments a vehicle has the more you risk jackknifing or other severely undesirable outcomes if you just have an engine in the rearmost section and are limited to just a front axle that turns. Trams don't have this problem because the "engines" (in this case, high-powered electric motors) are mounted directly to the bogies, which are able to pivot independently of the tram and can thus safely follow the rails through fairly tight curves.

Perhaps some sort of hybrid vehicle with an engine in the back, mated to individual wheel motors would work. Combine that with an electric power steering system (the steering wheel controls a position sensor, which sends a signal to servos that then actuate the steering linkage) on three or four of the bus's axles, and add in programmable steering profiles allowing one steering wheel to smoothly control all three or four axles through tight turns, and you'd have a product that would be intrinsically safe to turn on a crowded street. However, that still doesn't address the fact that the longer a vehicle gets the more thoroughly it's going to block traffic when trying to execute any maneuver other than staying in its lane and the more risk there is of the vehicle getting sideswiped or rammed by an impatient driver coming from another part of the intersection.

That's actually not true. The artic conversion hardly took up any parking spaces on the Q10. The biggest problem is the bottleneck caused at Liberty/Lefferts in both directions because of traffic and the amount of people boarding the buses. People are more annoyed at that than parking spaces. That's one area they need to do something with.

Than the source I got it from was wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a federal rule, and it's there so, among other things, people waiting at crosswalks don't somehow get struck by a wide turning bus. For the same reason, trucks over 55 feet long need permits for every leg of a trip they will do within New York City, and are restricted to certain roads.

The federal STAA has superseded this for all trucks except:

1. Trucks with 53 foot trailers (except to get to and from Long Island).

2. Trucks longer than 55 feet, higher than 162 inches, and wider than 96 inches (measured over the body) not carrying household goods (more than 1 mile distance from interstates)

3. Trucks not in compliance with the New York State Bridge Formula.

4. Trucks wider than 102 inches (measured over the body)

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/truckaccess.pdf

Archived