NYCT/MTAB Planned Service Changes for 2011

Amtrak7

The summer pick last year was service cuts, this year its service increases. First the x37/38 restoration, now this:

The expansion would add two busses during morning service and two in the afternoon, and peak hour stops at the Outerbridge Park and Ride lot, which lost its express bus service with the cancellation of the AE7 bus route in December.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/04/improvements_slated_for_x22_ex.html

The board meeting materials will be interesting... (Wednesday, perhaps?)

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the North Shore needs later express bus service too. We have long commutes just like they do and if they can get express bus service until 19:30 then so should we. If they want to do studies, they can do some studies about how many North Shore express bus riders are forced to use the South Shore buses because we don't have later express bus service to West Brighton, Randall Manor and Sunnyside. I'm certain that they could pull a bus from somewhere and add a few more runs without breaking the bank. I mean I don't get why they have such early service for in the afternoon and also why they have such frequent service in the mornings. They'll have express buses running every 5-10 minutes and then pull two or three express buses and not have those buses show up. Instead of wasting those, put them to use!! :mad:

The summer pick last year was service cuts, this year its service increases. First the x37/38 restoration, now this:

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/04/improvements_slated_for_x22_ex.html

The meeting is on Thursday. See this: http://www.mta.info/mta/news/calendar.htm

It looks like Joel was right. The idea of having a limited number of X22s serve the park-and-ride did make sense.

I wouldn't be so quick to praise them just yet, this is something that should have been in place already! When they finally get around to adding a true limited to the "stop-at-every-stop" S53, then I'll say that they're expanding service. Or extending one of either the S54, S57 or S59 to St. George, that's a service improvement!

The meeting is on Thursday. See this: http://www.mta.info/mta/news/calendar.htm

It looks like Joel was right. The idea of having a limited number of X22s serve the park-and-ride did make sense.

That's why I said Wednesday-it's usually available one business day before the meeting. A Thursday meeting seems very odd.

I wouldn't be so quick to praise them just yet, this is something that should have been in place already! When they finally get around to adding a true limited to the "stop-at-every-stop" S53, then I'll say that they're expanding service. Or extending one of either the S54, S57 or S59 to St. George, that's a service improvement!

I agree! That damn (S53) drives me nuts with the every stop nonsense!! :mad: It's so annoying because it's like one person getting off and they take a year and a day to do so. They also need more frequency on that bus. 10 minutes during rush hour isn't cutting it esp. once you reach Richmond Rd. They need to add more buses because you not only have folks going to Brooklyn but a lot of people who use that to connect the express buses too and to the SIR. I would call for service every 7-8 minutes during the mornings. They have that at night when the buses are far emptier and it doesn't make sense. In short, add the service where it is needed.

If the limited-stop uses existing service (or even buses removed from other lines), is it really expanding service? It is improving it, but not necessarily expanding it.

I agree! That damn (S53) drives me nuts with the every stop nonsense!! :mad: It's so annoying because it's like one person getting off and they take a year and a day to do so. They also need more frequency on that bus. 10 minutes during rush hour isn't cutting it esp. once you reach Richmond Rd. They need to add more buses because you not only have folks going to Brooklyn but a lot of people who use that to connect the express buses too and to the SIR. I would call for service every 7-8 minutes during the mornings. They have that at night when the buses are far emptier and it doesn't make sense. In short, add the service where it is needed.

Like I said, the limited would cost nothing to implement and and increases in crowding can be handled by taking buses from the buses running down Richmond Avenue.

I think it would help to an extent if the S93 were expanded to run off-peak on weekdays, using the savings resulting from the elimination of the S92.

S59 doesnt need to go to st george as the 78 already does this

How about these routes IMO in no order to come back as well.

B39, B24(full 7-day service)B51 and B64 service to Coney Island just covering Brooklyn.

Apparently the M50 is coming back at no extra cost to the MTA.

image_lrgimage_2011_04_R5278_Midtown_MTA_Restores_M50_Weekend_Bus_04182011.jpg

The new plan will eliminate stops on the M50 route below East 48th Street

http://ourtownny.com/2011/04/18/m50-weekend-bus-service-to-be-restored/

Not sure if that's weekdays too, but probably.

Apparently the M50 is coming back at no extra cost to the MTA.

image_lrgimage_2011_04_R5278_Midtown_MTA_Restores_M50_Weekend_Bus_04182011.jpg

http://ourtownny.com/2011/04/18/m50-weekend-bus-service-to-be-restored/

Not sure if that's weekdays too, but probably.

Sounds like the businesses in Turtle Bay might be paying IMO for the return of the (M50). I forgot that weekend M50 service was even cut.

Not sure it true now but I know in East NY/Spring Creek Brooklyn when the US Postal Service opened their GMF facility, they payed for most or all of the costs to re-route the (B15) (B20) and (B13) to serve it.

Only overnight crosstown 49th/50th Street service should been cut in the first place. That is where I always felt that the (MTA) should have focused more during last June's Doomsdays Cuts.

Someone say the "X21" perhaps?

One of the reasons why I HATE taking the S53 when the S93 Limited isn't running...it does all that meandering through Arrochar and it takes so damn long to get to Clove Road.

If the S83 Limited comes to light, I'd have it bypass Arrochar and make its first stop in Staten Island at Hylan/Clove running along the S79 route, then resume service along the S53's route to Port Richmond.

I thought the (MTA) was broke! All these restorations happening. What next, the (Bx41) returns to Wakefield? Weekend service returns on the (Q31), (Q76), (Bx34) and countless others? Hell, the (M6) might return!

If the limited-stop uses existing service (or even buses removed from other lines), is it really expanding service? It is improving it, but not necessarily expanding it.

Like I said, the limited would cost nothing to implement and and increases in crowding can be handled by taking buses from the buses running down Richmond Avenue.

I think it would help to an extent if the S93 were expanded to run off-peak on weekdays, using the savings resulting from the elimination of the S92.

Excuse me, but why in the world would you cut the (S92)?? Did you forget about the folks in Travis?? :confused:

We've (ATU 726) Been pushing this since late last year when the now defunct AE7 has been discontinued.

Between 5:30-6:30 am the headway on the s53 is 6 minutes, from6:30-7:37 it 7 minutes. From 7:45 on it goes to 10 minutes. So the AM rush is covered with buses. Some of them are empty. Ive done the 53 in the AM and depending on the run, you either work like a dog or you drag your ass to keep time. So something is totally wrong there!!!

I thought the (MTA) was broke! All these restorations happening. What next, the (Bx41) returns to Wakefield? Weekend service returns on the (Q31), (Q76), (Bx34) and countless others? Hell, the (M6) might return!

Apparently, each restoration must be:

Required for compliance to the June service guidelines

OR

Cost neutral or provide a net savings

I think more communities will follow Turtle Bay and give up some weekday service for off-peak service.

Between 5:30-6:30 am the headway on the s53 is 6 minutes, from6:30-7:37 it 7 minutes. From 7:45 on it goes to 10 minutes. So the AM rush is covered with buses. Some of them are empty. Ive done the 53 in the AM and depending on the run, you either work like a dog or you drag your ass to keep time. So something is totally wrong there!!!

From 08:00 - 09:00 those buses run every 10 minutes and they are packed so they need to move a few of those and put them on the 08:00 - 09:00 runs. For some reason the (MTA) isn't getting the fact that more and more Staten Islanders travel to work or school from 08:00 until 09:30. They need to bump up service in general and run it longer and move the earlier runs out and use them where they are most needed. Same thing goes with express bus service. If no one is using the earlier runs, take those buses and add them for later runs! Why do they have so many buses from 05:30 to 06:30? I mean really there aren't hoards of people at that time.

I find it a little suspicious that it is happening as well. First the restoration of the X37/X38, then the restoration of the M50, and now this.

You never know. Maybe some money exchanged hands under the table.

S59 doesnt need to go to st george as the 78 already does this

People along Hylan Blvd aren't riding the S78 all the way to St. George (or at least most of them aren't): They are taking walking to the SIR. In any case, the point of the S59 going to St. George would be for people along Richmond Avenue (like myself) to have a faster route to St. George (the S44 takes about 7 minutes longer, looping down Cary Avenue and Henderson Avenue).

A lot of people who support this idea say that the S59 should be cut back to Hylan Blvd, with the S89 going to Tottenville.

Ay yay dude... Not for nothing, but SI North has lived on Staten Island his entire life. I would think he would know a thing or two about what is needed.

We don't actually know about him living here his whole life, but he has lived there for a while.

Excuse me, but why in the world would you cut the (S92)?? Did you forget about the folks in Travis?? :confused:

No I didn't considering the fact that I live west of Richmond Avenue.

The S62 would replace the S92, so those areas would still have bus service. As of now, the S62 has low ridership when the S92 is running, and it will often come close to catching up to it at CSI (I've seen this often, and there are times when they actually come in at the same time).

Either that, or the S92 could continue to run, the S61 would not run during rush hour, and the S62 would operate between St. George and Jewett Avenue.

Maybe the (MTA) was never as broke as they claim they were.

They basically wanted to show everyone that they were making cutbacks in jobs and runs for both the subways and the buses. They sure did but with the buses they are really overlooking what they did wrong.

From 08:00 - 09:00 those buses run every 10 minutes and they are packed so they need to move a few of those and put them on the 08:00 - 09:00 runs. For some reason the (MTA) isn't getting the fact that more and more Staten Islanders travel to work or school from 08:00 until 09:30. They need to bump up service in general and run it longer and move the earlier runs out and use them where they are most needed. Same thing goes with express bus service. If no one is using the earlier runs, take those buses and add them for later runs! Why do they have so many buses from 05:30 to 06:30? I mean really there aren't hoards of people at that time.

Yea I do agree with you as a bus driver. the morning rush is screwed up as I stated. I also agree that there is not many people riding depending on the trip. What u may not realize is that the 53 is utilized by a large proportion of Transit employees during that time. That's one of the main reasons there's so many buses during the morning rush.

Archived