Brooklyn Bus Map Discrepancy

NX Express

I don't know why this is, but the I like to think the (B3) terminates firmly in Bath Beach. You know, Bath Beach - Bergen Beach, it helps the mind. Arguably the same thing could be said about the (B6) [what neighborhood it terminates in] but the current consensus is Bensonhurst. Maybe the map makers couldn't be bothered to change the (B3)'s route info.

Interesting question, NX Express. The (B3) and (B64) schedules correspond with the Brooklyn Bus Map in neighborhood terminology:

B3 Schedule (Harway/25th Avenues Bath Beach): http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b003cur.pdf

B64 Schedule (Harway/25th Avenues Bensonhurst): http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b064cur.pdf

The (B3) schedule clearly lists Bath Beach next to Harway and 25th Avenues; The (B64) schedule appears to show Bath Beach further up Bath Avenue, around Eighteenth Avenue.

Good Question, Nx....

Personally, I don't see this as a discrepancy/mistake....

I think they have the B64 "saying" it terminates in Bath Beach.... to make those residents feel as if the bus route serves "their" neighborhood... and not to feel discouraged, due to the truncation of the route..... iono, to put it into words, it's like the MTA saying:

even though we had to revoke service to coney island, we still retained service on your route... in your neighborhood... the B64 is still your route !!

it's an image sort of thing....

If you want to look at things another way.... Bath Beach is a neighborhood-within-a-neighborhood anyway (there are quite a bit of those in Brooklyn)... this is why you'll have people constantly refer to that area as Bensonhurst.....

I noticed yesterday that the new destination signs on the B12 says:

EAST NEW YORK

ALABAMA AVE

Where as the B25 destination still says:

BROADWAY JCT

ALABAMA AVE.

I mean the B12 and B25 are a short block apart from each other....

We could go all day listing Brooklyn map/neighborhood discrepancies...

For example...

The B8 destination sign says

V A HOSP

while the B70 reads

DYKER HTS

VA HOSPITAL

And does the B8 terminate in East Flatbush or Brownsville? Old timetables said it was East Flatbush, but nowadays it's all Brownsville.

• 1 month later...
I don't know why this is, but the I like to think the (B3) terminates firmly in Bath Beach. You know, Bath Beach - Bergen Beach, it helps the mind. Arguably the same thing could be said about the (B6) [what neighborhood it terminates in] but the current consensus is Bensonhurst. Maybe the map makers couldn't be bothered to change the (B3)'s route info.

They terminate at the same street around the corner from each other at the bus terminal which is called Ulmer Park. Which is also the name of the nearby library.

Bath Beach is really around 15 or 16 ave, not 25 ave.

In the Brooklyn Bus Map, the B3's terminal is said to be in Bensonhurst. The B64's, on the other hand, is indicated as Bath Beach. However, they terminate in the same place. Any explanations?:confused:

Maybe it's a copyright error. A common practice in the publishing industry, especially textbooks and maps, is to protect the copyright by deliberately introducing minor errors. It's easier to prove that somebody copied your work if they also copied the errors.

(Thanks to my wife, and her 20 years in publishing, for that explanation!)

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I noticed yesterday that the new destination signs on the B12 says:

EAST NEW YORK

ALABAMA AVE

Where as the B25 destination still says:

BROADWAY JCT

ALABAMA AVE.

I mean the B12 and B25 are a short block apart from each other....

The first/last stop of the B25 and the first stop of the B12 is literally across the street from each other.

Another thing I realized (before the terminal opened) was with all the buses around Ridgewood. The B26 said...

RIDGEWOOD

WYCKOFF AV

While all the others (B26, B52, B54, Q55, Q58) said...

RIDGEWOOD

PALMETTO ST

Another thing I realized (before the terminal opened) was with all the buses around Ridgewood. The B26 said...

RIDGEWOOD

WYCKOFF AV

While all the others (B26, B52, B54, Q55, Q58) said...

RIDGEWOOD

PALMETTO ST

It looks like the 26 still drops off customers as its last stop on Wyckoff besides the McDonald's, even after the new "terminal" officially opened. (I believe it then enters the terminal to pick up customers beginning the next run). On the day it had opened, I had asked if that last stop would be moved.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

It looks like the 26 still drops off customers as its last stop on Wyckoff besides the McDonald's, even after the new "terminal" officially opened. (I believe it then enters the terminal to pick up customers beginning the next run). On the day it had opened, I had asked if that last stop would be moved.

It still picks up and drops off at that stop. From what I noticed, no one for the B26 really uses the stop in the terminal. I tried it the day it opened and he (the B/O) said the bus doesn't stop there. The Q58 still drops off at the B26 stop and all Q58 buses sit there for their layovers. On a good day, you can see a line of buses about 8 deep parked there

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump this, but I just wanted to add a couple of comments.

We could go all day listing Brooklyn map/neighborhood discrepancies...

For example...

The B8 destination sign says

V A HOSP

while the B70 reads

DYKER HTS

VA HOSPITAL

And does the B8 terminate in East Flatbush or Brownsville? Old timetables said it was East Flatbush, but nowadays it's all Brownsville.

I would say Brownsville. It is too far east to be East Flatbush.

Slightly off topic, but I noticed one from SI too:

Like, the S48 says: ARLINGTON

HOLLAND AV

But the S98 says: MARINRS HBR

I also noticed that the S96 and S98 say "St George" instead of "St George Ferry" like the rest of the SI buses say. As far as the S98 goes, Arlington is one of those "neighborhoods within neighborhoods"-some people refer to it as part of Mariners' Harbor, and some refer to it as its own seperate neighborhood.

Bath Beach: Runs From 14th To 27th Aves via Bay 1-50 Sts, btwn 86 St and Cropsey Aves.

Bensonhurst: Runs from 15th To Stillwell Aves btwn 62-86 Sts.

Dyker Heights: Runs from 7th To 14th Aves btwn 62 St and Cropsey Ave

All other surrounding areas are Gravesend, Bay Ridge, Chinatown, Boro Park and Mapleton.

So technically the (B3) ends at Bath Beach, not Bensonhurst.

Bath Beach: Runs From 14th To 27th Aves via Bay 1-50 Sts, btwn 86 St and Cropsey Aves.

Bensonhurst: Runs from 15th To Stillwell Aves btwn 70-86 Sts.

Dyker Heights: Runs from 7th To 14th Aves btwn 62 St and Cropsey Ave

All other surrounding areas are Gravesend, Bay Ridge, Chinatown, Boro Park and Mapleton.

So technically the (B3) ends at Bath Beach, not Bensonhurst.

"Technically"? I didn't realize that neighborhoods were "technically" defined.

Did the City Council establish "official" boundary lines for each neighborhood, and then prohibit neighborhoods from growing or shrinking or shifting? Is there an official city map showing each neighborhood's official boundaries?? Which city agency enforces the official neighborhood boundaries?

"Technically"? I didn't realize that neighborhoods were "technically" defined.

Did the City Council establish "official" boundary lines for each neighborhood, and then prohibit neighborhoods from growing or shrinking or shifting? Is there an official city map showing each neighborhood's official boundaries?? Which city agency enforces the official neighborhood boundaries?

If you do research, you will find official maps and other documentations. Plus i've been living here in South Brooklyn all my life so I know alot.......

If you do research, you will find official maps and other documentations.

Yes, but are the neighborhood boundaries defined and enforced by law and thus prohibited from ever changing? For example, if a neighborhood now ends at 13th Avenue, can it ever be "extended" to 15th Avenue at any time in the future or is it legally mandated to stay at 13th?

Yes, but are the neighborhood boundaries defined and enforced by law and thus prohibited from ever changing? For example, if a neighborhood now ends at 13th Avenue, can it ever be "extended" to 15th Avenue at any time in the future or is it legally mandated to stay at 13th?

No of course not, NYC can change that anytime if they wanted.

I choose my words carefully...

that's exactly why I said "considered" as opposed to "technically"....

As neighborhood boundaries are man made/opinionative....

As much as Gotham tends to take the safe route in a lot of his replies, he's got a point w/ this one.

side note:

Neighborhoods don't grow (in terms of land area) anymore - they shrink & become smaller ones

I choose my words carefully...

that's exactly why I said "considered" as opposed to "technically"....

As neighborhood boundaries are man made/opinionative....

As much as Gotham tends to take the safe route in a lot of his replies, he's got a point w/ this one.

side note:

Neighborhoods don't grow (in terms of land area) anymore - they shrink & become smaller ones

Considered, technically, it dont matter and the neighborhoods I typed up are what they are, was just pointing out that the (B3) ends in Bath Beach.

Considered, technically, it dont matter and the neighborhoods I typed up are what they are, was just pointing out that the (B3) ends in Bath Beach.

It matters just as much as it took for you to type that reply in the defensive manner that you just did....

But ok, since you wanna be an ass about this....

You say the B3 ends in Bath Beach. That's your opinion.

Using the word technically would lead someone to believe something is a fact.

so, try again.....

Archived