Essex St Trolley Term.

INDman

Here are some shots of the Essex Street Trolley Terminal. These were all taken from the platform using a low light lens.

The terminal when it was used had 8 loop tracks to turn trolleys from Brooklyn that came over the Willismasburg Bridge. The terminal was used from 1908 until 1948 when trolleys stopped running over the bridge. Part of the original tracks are now under the "new" tower at Essex St which was built in the late 60's.

DSC_0188-3.jpg

DSC_0185-3.jpg

DSC_0184-3.jpg

DSC_0182-3.jpg

DSC_0181-2.jpg

Nice job! I was at Essex Street a few days ago and I just happened to pay attention to the trolley terminal and noticed some loop tracks hidden within the pavement.

They should restore the terminal and then make a yard and name it Essex Street Yard.

Well that would be a good idea but there's a tower that sits adjacent to the northbound track. They'd have to move it somewhere else. And of course...there's no money to do that right now.

Well that would be a good idea but there's a tower that sits adjacent to the northbound track. They'd have to move it somewhere else. And of course...there's no money to do that right now.

In addition to that there wouldn't be all that much storage space there anyway, so it's not worth it in the end.

Thanks for all the comments guys. My thought on the place is that it would be great for a trolley (light rail) that goes back and forth over the bridge, aside from that, I don't see it being used for any thing except storage space. It also does continue to just about a few hundred feet short of the bridge.

Archived