Surprise appearance on the Flushing line this morning

Matt91

This morning around 6:40 or so, I spotted a 5-car consist of either an R62/A or an R142/A sandwiched between 4 redbirds on the Flushing line just east of Queensboro Plaza. These pics were taken from the LIRR train I was on that passed under the el. Is this a regular occurrence or something special? BTW sorry for the bad quality, both pics come from my cell phone.

4748164013_af627d9a0c_b.jpg

Zooming in:

4748805432_603c984b78.jpg

That'd most likely be an R62 between those redbirds as SMEEs and NTTs aren't compatible.

Nice catch! I wonder what was going on as well, you don't see stuff like that all the time.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Nice catch...looks like a R62A since its just that single car

So those redbirds have the trippers on both sides? And why would they do this in the morning as opposed to overnight?

Any car slated for work service (except the R32's) has trippers on both sides since they go to both divisions

Thats not an R142/A, its a R62A. Every summer the RTO would have the R62As from the (7) couple with the R33WF since them cars dont have A/Cs. Until the end of the summer.

Now the R62As will replace the redbirds this summer on the IRT =(!

Plus how can an NTT even couple with the R33?! Couples are diff.................................

Thats not an R142/A, its a R62A. Every summer the RTO would have the R62As from the (7) couple with the R33WF since them cars dont have A/Cs. Until the end of the summer.

Now the R62As will replace the redbirds this summer on the IRT =(!

Plus how can an NTT even couple with the R33?! Couples are diff.................................

Don't think so, I have always seen a Diesel with NTT in yard moves.

Why would you suspect it was a NTT?

First off, I only saw the redbirds as I was passing under. By the time I got my phone out to take the pic, it was too far away to tell what the newer car was. Second, and most important, I was half asleep, as this was at 6:40am and I had woken up from an hour nap a few minutes earlier. I was also half asleep when I posted ;)

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Nice catch...looks like a R62A since its just that single car

Any car slated for work service (except the R32's) has trippers on both sides since they go to both divisions

ANY A Div. car that goes over the B Div. has to have duel trips or have a car at either end with duel trips. This is why your usual 10 car IRT train would be 12 cars long at the least. There are exception to this as there are with everything, such as A Div. cars entering 207th St or Concourse Yds via their respective connection to the IRT.

Damn you know everything don't ya?! BTW nice catch Matt91. ;)

I have picked up a thing or two in my time...

Archived