Are the O5 starting to have cords inside of them?

Kingsbridge Bus

Orion Vs are starting to be retrofitted with cords, removing the tape as a result. I see a handful of them on the S79...that is, if I catch one. I remember hearing something about them being "cheap" to maintain and install.

I ride Orion Vs almost every day and have never seen one with touch strips...i've always seen them with the pull cord strung along the windows...

Yeah you most likely catch the Orion Vs on the MTA Bus routes, their CNGs are all built like that. Only ones I've seen with the touch tape are the NYCTA Orions. :cool:

Yeah you most likely catch the Orion Vs on the MTA Bus routes, their CNGs are all built like that. Only ones I've seen with the touch tape are the NYCTA Orions. :cool:

Ah, that's correct. The route is ex-Queens Surface.

Stengel Depot hasn't replaced any tape bells with pull cords on the Orion V's. And I've already seen a few new NG's with their pull cords snapped (possibly cut by bored passengers:eek: ), and one NG that had an interior panel falling off the bus frame due to a a hard yank on the pull cord. I was shocked, but a co-worker told me he saw another bus with the same problem.

So, don't yank so hard... thanks.:tup: :)

The cords are 4X cheaper to maintain than the tape, from an article I read on Buschat. They are also strong material, so vandalism shouldn't be a big problem. The buses that have had pull cords from the start aren't having problems.

That would be correct as I heard about the cords on the new buses being cheaper to maintain and install in InTransit back in late 2008, so they decided to retrofit some of the older models. I remember, as a matter of fact, getting on an Orion 7 NG on the S93 last year and was surprised when I saw the pull cords. I remember seeing them on the Green Lines buses and the first thing that hit my mind was that the MTA decided to go retro or something!

Are the O5's starting to have cords inside of them like the NG's? I got on 6296 the other day and it had a cord to request a stop inside of them. Can someone please tell me whats going on !!! I'm out of here (JFK)

Some are being retrofitted with cords, primarily within Staten Island Division. Some of those units have made their way to Kingsbridge.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually 6296 was given the pull cords back when it was at Yukon.

OTOH, the SI Division is quickly converting all their Orion Vs to pull cords. It seems like every O5 I ride now has them.

I wonder if that bus left Staten Island in the big shakeup at the end of 2007 and didn't come back; 6280 along with 6151, 6198, and 6209 ended up at Gun Hill at the same time (6280 is now at Kingsbridge).

Archived